Christian Apologetics Society

Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God."
- Matthew 22:29

Isaiah 55:11
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it
Gen 1:3
Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light
Matthew 26:26
And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body."
Malachi 1:11
My name will be great among the nations, from the rising to the setting of the sun. In every place incense and pure offerings will be brought to my name, because my name will be great among the nations," says the LORD Almighty.
John 20:23
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.
James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
James 2:14
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
Luke 20:38
For He is not the God of the dead but of the living, for all live to Him.
Rev 21:27
Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.
1 Cor 3:15
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Psalm 51:5
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.
John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
1 Timothy 3:15
but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

The Geek of Immersion Baptism

Here's an interesting video from a Catholic priest who baptises by immersion. "Father Geek" describes in a YourTube video how their church's immersion pool is constructed and setup. Later, several immersion baptisms using the pool are shown.



I don't know if you caught it, but the converts are immersed not once, but three times. This is in keeping with the early NT church's teaching on how to baptise as described in The Didache and in later ante-Nicene letters.

    And concerning baptism, thus baptize ye: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whatever others can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.
    The Didache


    "And each of you was asked, whether he believed in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, and ye made that saving confession, and descended three times into the water, and ascended again; here also hinting by a symbol at the three days burial of Christ."
    Cyril of Jerusalem, Of Baptism


Also, by using a pump, the baptisms were able to be conducted in "living water" as instructed by our early Christian forefathers.

Source: Fr. Geek's Video Podcast #6: "The Geek of Immersion Baptism"

Labels: , , , , ,


3 Comments:

Blogger Michael.Gabriel said...

Timothy, nice to see you posting. This actually may not be as rare as you think it is. My wife actually had our first daughter baptized this way. Her reason was because I did my best to reason with her from the Scriptures for the lack of validity for infant baptism, and she basically compromised by having it done this way.

By the way, didn't you think it was funny for Cyril to point out the fact that his readers made a profession of faith before they were baptized? Some people (myself not included) would argue that this is proof of the earliest Christians being Baptist (though I would agree that immersion is the proper, Biblical method). I also thought it was unusual for you, who I took for a Catholic who would argue for the validity of infant baptism by sprinkling/effusion, to post the excerpt from the Didache. It seems pretty clear that they held to baptism by immersion as well; and that was way back in the first century.

Well, thanks for the post.

By the way, I was disappointed by the fact that you hadn't re-responded on my blog, but then I thought that maybe you were thinking through my response--in a good way. I guess I can only pray for you. I was hoping to get across the fact that arguing about things is not my intention. I did involve myself in that a while back, but I've realized that that is what people have turned apologetics into.

Apologetics, in my understanding, is about evangelism; and I am very much concerned with evangelism, Timothy. I am glad to have had the opportunity to interact with you previously, and I pray that we will have more opportunities in the future.I believe that God is glorified when His Gospel is proclaimed, but I hope that He will choose to glorify Himself by calling you out of bondage to tradition and an emphasis on men's opinions held over the Scriptures. That is my ultimate goal in defending the faith once for all delivered to the saints.

Well, I hope to post something new soon. I have written some things previously that I plan to post on my blog, so stop by sometime and check it out.

I'll pray for you ever time I remember to Timothy.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Timothy said...

>"This actually may not be as rare as you think it is."

Um, I actually don't think immersion baptism is rare, even among Catholics. Most of the Catholic churches in my area have immersion pools and baptise by immersion.

I also saw immersion pools all over Italy. Most medieval churches have a seperate baptistry building with an immersion pool. This was in keeping with the long standing Christian practice of baptising men and women seperately, due to catechumens being naked for their baptism.

I posted the video to help dispel the myths that Catholics don't baptise by immersion, that Catholics don't practice "believer's baptism", and that the proper technique in immersion baptism is not to immerse once, but three times. There's quite a bit of urban mythology and misinformation floating among my brothers and sisters in Christ.

>"I did my best to reason with her from the Scriptures for the lack of validity for infant baptism"

Sorry to hear that. There is no possible way to "win" a discussion with a Catholic using scripture alone. The best is a "draw", particularly on the topic of baptism. That's because 100% of Catholic doctrine is found either implicitly or explicitly in the Bible.

Keep in mind that the reason there isn't much information on baptismal practices in scripture is because scripture was very late in being written. By the time Luke got around to writing Acts many decades after Christ's ascension, baptism and its practice was well estabished. There was no need to expound on baptism in the NT as it was already well understood.

Thankfully, other Christian writers of the era documented the early Church's baptismal practices for those of us seeking authentic Christianity.

>"didn't you think it was funny for Cyril to point out the fact that his readers made a profession of faith before they were baptized?"

No. It doesn't strike me as funny as, with the exception of two Baptist creek baptisms, I have always seen and heard a profession of faith immediately before baptism, even at infant baptisms. This seems to be the long established practice of Christians. Cyril confirms what I have been taught as a Christian is doctrinely and historically sound.

>"...would argue that this is proof of the earliest Christians being Baptist."

If that were true, then why do modern Baptists not immerse three times, not baptise infants and children, not chrismate, and, most importantly, not hold all the doctrines of the earliest Christians, particularly those regarding the Eucharist? When did Baptists go astray and how/why?

As much as many Baptists would like to claim an unbroken line of Baptists ministers and congregations from the Apostles forward like the Catholics and Orthodox Churches, those Baptists will need to accept that they are a product of the Reformation and schismed from the Church of England in most instances.

>"Apologetics, in my understanding, is about evangelism"

Amen, brother.

>"I was disappointed by the fact that you hadn't re-responded on my blog"

I compete with my family for PC time in the evening at home. I seldom have much opportunity to re-respond, but will make an effort just because you took time to comment.

>"to glorify Himself by calling you out of bondage to tradition and an emphasis on men's opinions held over the Scripture"

While I understand your concern, its competely unfounded. I have the comfort of knowing Christ's one visible Church is the pillar and ground of Truth. (1Timothy 3:15). I am not in bondage to Reformation tradition nor various mens' opinions, such as your own. Thank you for your concern.

>"That is my ultimate goal in defending the faith once for all delivered to the saints."

I would encourage you to learn all the "faith once for all delivered to the saints" and not just an oversimplification of that faith.

God bless...

+Timothy

12:14 PM  
Blogger my blog said...

I liked your post and you must notice one thing i.e. baptism is not rare among Catholics.






Christian Travel Directory

2:59 AM  

<< Home